A vegan recreation of my favourite side dish that my mum used to make to go with cottage or shepherds pie.
What you need:
- 1 tsp of Vegan Butter or a couple of sprays of oil
- 1 Head of Red Cabbage Finely Sliced
- 1 Red Onion Sliced or diced
- 1 Bramley Apple Peeled and Grated
- 3 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp of Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp of Red Wine (I used Yellow Tail Shiraz)
- 2 tbsp of Soft Brown Sugar or Agave Syrup
- Salt and Pepper
What you need to do:
- On a medium heat melt Butter or Spray Oil into a Saucepan on which a lid fits.
- Add in onions and lightly fry until soft.
- Add in grated apple and sliced red cabbage and stir to break up the cabbage.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar, red wine and red wine vinegar, sugar or syrup then season with salt and pepper and give a good stir.
- Reduce heat and put on lid and leave to braise for up to an hour stirring occasionally.
- Serve with Shepherdless pie and steamed green veggies.
It suitable to chill or freeze for another day!
To make it Festive: Add a Cinnamon Stick and 1 Star Anise