Comforting meal which you can make ahead for another night ready to put in the oven or eat immediately. Perfect served with steamed green veg and balsamic braised red cabbage (recipe to follow).
What you need:
For the bottom:
- 1/2 Medium Onion diced
- 1 Garlic Clove minced or 1 tsp of Lazy Garlic
- Around 200g of Vegan Mince (I used Linda McCartney) or 1 400g Tin of Lentils.
- 1 Medium Carrot finely diced
- 50g of Frozen peas
- 1 400g Can of Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of Tomato Puree
- 3 tbsp of HP Sauce
- 1 Veg Stock Cube in 300ml of Boiling Water
- 100ml Red Wine (I used Yellow Tail Shiraz) Perfect to drink with the meal too!
- 1 1/2 tsp of Parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp of Thyme
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Couple of Drops of Liquid Seasoning (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
For the top:
- 2 Medium Jacket Potatoes roughly chopped then boiled
- Vegan Butter or Margarine (I used Pure Sunflower)
- Salt and Pepper
What you need to do:
- On a medium heat and in a little oil, or spray a little oil into a saucepan, fry onion until soft then add carrots and garlic.
- Stir in Vegan Mince and keep stirring until it appears no longer frozen then add veg stock in boiling water which should be absorbed by the mince.
- Add in Chopped Tomatoes, tomato puree, HP sauce, Red Wine, Parsley, Thyme, Garlic Powder, Liquid Seasoning and Salt and Pepper to your liking. Give it a good stir and bring to the boil then reduce heat and allow to simmer.
- Finally add in the frozen peas and simmer until liquid has reduce leaving you with a rich flavoured mince.
- Pre heat Oven to Gas Mark 7 (if you want to eat it straight after)
- Whilst mince is reducing cook potatoes and then mash into a creamy smooth topping by adding in vegan butter and salt and pepper to your taste.
- Add a thick layer of mince into a small ovenproof rectangular dish suitable to 2 portions making sure you spread it evenly (there should be a portion left over for you to freeze for another day), then cover completely with the mashed potato. Fork straight lines on to the top or just leave rough and ready.
- Put in the oven for 30 mins until slightly browned and crispy on top. If cooking from chilled increase cooking time by 10-15 mins (until you can see the underneath bubbling up the sides).