As its my first vegan christmas one thing I was going to miss was a good festive sandwich filling. It was never the meat I really liked, it was all about the cranberries and that savoury sweetness that you never got in a sandwich at any other time of year. So I wanted to make an alternative. This is my recipe for festive falafel that can be enjoyed with hummus or cranberry sauce in a sandwich, wrap, salad or just as a cheeky snack or party nibble.
Makes 12 large falafel or 20-24 smaller ones.
What you need:
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato diced
- 1 400g Tin of Chickpeas – contents poured into a saucepan and cooked on the hob for 3-4 minutes, but not boiled. Then drained.
- 180g of Whole Chestnuts, cooked and peeled, I used Gourmet Merchant.
- 100g of Dried and Sweetened Cranberries
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 2 tsp of Cumin
- 1 tsp of Dried Coriander
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp of chia seeds, ground and mixed with water to form your ‘egg’.
What you need to do:
- Pre heat oven to gas mark 4.
- Put sweet potato on to boil for 20 minutes.
- Whilst sweet potato is boiling, put chickpeas, cranberries, chesnuts, garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and chia seed ‘egg’ into a food processor and process until fully combined but not forming a paste. Add in 1/2 a teaspoon of chilli flakes if you like a little kick.
- Once sweet potato is boiled, drain and put back into the saucepan mash and combine in chickpea, chesnut and cranberry mixture with your masher.
- Then using your hands and a little flour to stop them sticking to your hands grab small handfuls and roll into balls and place onto a baking tray lined with tin foil and slightly greased.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turn and bake for a further 15 minutes until golden brown. They should be crisp on the outside and moist and not crumbly on the inside.