I love a good cranberry sauce with a roast or in festive sandwiches. Here is a simple recipe for a lovely spiced sauce which can be made a day or two ahead of when you plan to eat it.
Serves……a lot of people!
What you need:
- Bag of Fresh Cranberries rinsed
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- Juice of 1 Orange
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 3/4 cups of Caster Sugar
- Pinch of Ground Ginger
- 1 Large piece of Orange Peel (Thats easy to pull out once ready)
- You can add a cheeky glug of red wine if you feel it needs it.
What you need to do:
- On a medium heat add water, orange juice and sugar in a Saucepan and mix well.
- Add Cranberries, Cinnamon Stick, Ginger, Salt and Orange Peel into the pan and bring to a gentle boil stirring every now and then.
- Leave to simmer for 10 minutes until it starts to look like its turning into Jam. Do a taste test and add more sugar or orange juice if you feel it needs it. The Sauce shouldn’t be too tart and should have a lovely spiced sweetness to it.
- Leave to simmer for a further 5 minutes or until you are happy with the consistency. If you feel it has gone too runny, it does become more viscous once cooled but if you feel it is past the point of no return add a little vegan gelling agent to it.
- Remove the Cinnamon and Orange peel and while it is still warm pour into a Kilner Style jar that can be firmly sealed shut. Once fully cooled put in the fridge and pull out once your Festive meal is ready to serve up.