A simple recipe for my favourite flavours in my favourite dessert.
What you need:
For the Filling:
- 5 Bramley apples peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of golden caster sugar (or a little more to stop it being too tart)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Essence
For the topping:
- 75g of vegan butter (cut into small chunks or small spoonfuls straight from the pack)
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of plain flour
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Sprinkle of golden caster sugar (optional)
What you need to do:
- Pre heat oven to Gas Mark 4.
- On a low to medium heat add all ingredients for the filling into a saucepan and bring to a boil and simmer lightly for 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally or until apples just start to go soft. Do a taste test and add a little more sugar if it is too tart.
- Remove from heat and drain excess liquid from the pan. Grease a small baking dish and evenly spread the filling into the bottom.
- In a mixing bowl add in all the ingredients for the topping and either rub and mix together with clean hands or mix well with a wooden spoon. If mixture seems too wet add a bit more flour and/or oats. The mixture wants to be a little solid and not fine and dusty.
- Crumble the mixture into clumps on top of the filling ensuring you cover it all evenly. By doing this it creates a soft granola type topping that crisps slightly but adds that tasty bit of stodge to go with the apple filling. Then finally sprinkle the top with a little golden caster sugar (This is optional).
- Put in the oven for 40-45 minutes checking it half way through. You want to bake it until the top of the crumble goes a lovely golden brown.
- Serve with vegan Vanilla Ice Cream and ENJOY!!!
Note: This can be made in advance and chilled in the fridge for a couple of days before baking.