Tofu can be hit and miss with some people. Personally I don’t like it when tofu is spongey and undercooked but baking and cutting it thinly avoids this and allows it to absorb a lot of flavour. Ideal to have along steamed or Stir fried Veggies.
What you need:
- 1 Block of Tofu (Drained and Pressed to rid of as much excess liquid) I used Cauldron.
- 1 tbsp of Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp of Tamari (slightly sweeter than Soy Sauce)
- 4 tbsp of Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp of Orange Juice (fresh or from a carton)
- 1 Clove of garlic peeled and minced
- 1 x 2cm piece of Ginger peeled and minced or 1 tsp of Ginger Powder
- Salt and Pepper
What you need to do:
- Pre heat the Oven to Gas Mark 5.
- In a bowl mix together soy sauce, tamari, maple syrup, orange juice, garlic, ginger and a bit of salt and pepper.
- Cut your Tofu Block in half lengthways then turn the half block around so the freshly cut side is facing down. Cut into rectangular slabs lengthways that are 0.5 – 1cm thick so you should get 3-4 out of each half of the block.
- In a shallow bowl or plate place your tofu and pour on your soy mixture. Leave for a minute or two then turn the steaks over and repeat. You will have to do this in 2 batches.
- Line a baking tray with Tin Foil and place the marinaded Tofu Steaks on to it and Spoon a little more mixture onto each of the steaks.
- Put in the oven for 12 minutes. Turn over spoon a little more mixture onto all the steaks and bake for a further 12 minutes. If you smell a little burnt smell fear not, it will only be the marinade on the tin foil.
- Remove from the baking tray and split between plates and spoon over any remaining marinade onto the steaks and serve up with steamed or stir fried veggies.
Best way to Drain your Tofu
- Drain excess fluid from packet and wrap your block in a few sheets of Kitchen Towels.
- Place between to Chopping Boards and press down.
- Fill a Saucepan with Water which will act as a weight to continue pressing your tofu between the 2 chopping boards for a further 15-30 minutes.
- Remove Saucepan chopping boards and unwrap your Tofu Block and it should be good to go!